Friday, 18 November 2011

Occupy Winnipeg

On my walk home from school, I pass the tents and signs set up at Memorial Park. I look at the make shift campsite, and wonder if the people freezing their butts off every night are there to prove a point, or if they're there to be a part of the bigger movement. To one day be able tell their grandkids "Yeah, I was a part of Occupy, maaaannnnnnn."

Either way, for those who us who are unaware of their protest demands, the "Occupants" just look like a bunch of really dumb urban campers.

Looks like fun? Join us.

The problem with Occupy Winnipeg is; it's loosing momentum. Quickly. The focus is nearly is lost, and hardly there in the first place.

With the NYPD pushing the protesters out of Liberty Square (Zuccotti Park), and the world moving on from the initial shock of people protesting something-but-we're-not-all-quite-sure-what. The trend seems to be dying out (and we all know it is a trend because Kanye West was there).

Other Occupy locations in Canada are beginning to be dismantled. This "revolutionary" movement already something we're going to look back on and laugh.


Today, while I was doing research in order to formulate my opinion about Occupy, I went to the Occupy Winnipeg Website (click to go to).

Any confusion I had about their demands, was now clearly spelled out in front of me with nice typography and good design.

In comparison to the Occupy Wall Street (click to go to) website, the Winnipeg website is more clear, and better put together. Suddenly, I felt more compelled to listen to what these peaceful protesters have to say.


Yep, and it's still nice out!

So here's what still makes me wonder; if they can get their shit together enough to organize a nice website, then why can't they get their shit together enough for us, in Winnipeg, to care?

What I'm trying to say is: the overall movement is to protest against economic and social inequality, right?  And while I agree that the demands made by Occupy Winnipeg are large societal problems that should addressed.

However, social and economic inequality will always be there no matter if there are tents in front of the Leg' or not.

Call it pessimistic, call it what you will, but really these problems run much too deep for anyone to be able to protest them seriously.


But then again, maybe I'm wrong because there are thousands of people around the world doing it right now.

Wouldn't it be more effective to go volunteer somewhere, rather than go camping?!


Anyway, good luck out there guys! I'm off to my minimum wage paying job with a smile on my face.
Donate: To whom?

6 comments:

  1. The biggest problem of the Occupy movement is that their message is way too broad. Saying that you want to fight "social injustice" is nice, but realistically you're not going to get a large enough following because the problem seems too big.

    They should just pick one of the many solutions, like the Robin Hood tax, and just promote that. That way their message would be way more direct and persuasive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment left on my Facebook left by Nic Kriellaars: " the awareness aspect is really the most valuable thing coming out of this glorified camping. Real change would be far more prevalent if each individual laying in their tents actually did something. This is essentially passive-aggressive com...plaining... not to mention, what kind of drain do you think it's having on businesses and our economy to have so many people giving up potential work and contribution time to sit around a hobo fire in a legislative park? "

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comment left of my Facebook by Jay Edwards Van Muijen: " I'm occupying my basement with my band and singing like a banshee tonight"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comment texted to me by Dan Orliko: " Enjoyed the blog. The problem with the occupy movement is many protesters have a skewed idea of what the protest is aout and they dont offer any solutions to the problems they are protesting against"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Iain Geeves left a comment on my facebook: "A common complaint of the Occupy movement is that people don't seem to offer any solutions, if they know what they want at all.

    I'm not sure I agree with this criticism or if in fact it's even legit. Isn't it enough in a democracy to spea...k up and be heard? I mean, we all know the system is broken and that corporate greed is a real thing. Why do the same people who have been disenfranchised and oppressed by the system have to offer all the solutions and have clear well defined platforms to work with/from? Isn't it enough to stand up and say, "Hold the fucking phone here. This shit aint right." Can we not expect from our politicians and leaders that they can say, "Okay. We hear that you're upset. This is what I propose to do about it."

    After all, isn't that why we elect people? To work this shit out for us, because we accept that (in theory) they are better qualified to do the job? I don't need well defined goals and objectives to know that the current system is has us bent over and is asking us to like it.

    Lets not forget who the enemy is here. It may be somewhat fashionable to wonder what exactly the Occupiers are accomplishing, targeting their lack of leadership and well defined goals. But come on! Fucking Wall Street crashed the whole global economy. And little and less has changed. Make no mistake about it.

    Now Italy is about to default and Portugal is probably next. There is a huge threat of rising Nationalism as the European Union is about to disintegrate and global Cosmopolitanism suffers a horrendous setback. All because Americans allowed their banks to be deregulated far beyond any thread of sensibility.

    I respect the Occupy movement for just speaking up and spending some time. It's more than most people. Why is it incumbent on them to also offer all the solutions? I believe that sometimes just showing up is enough.

    Solidarity with the Occupiers."

    http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2011/11/20111112135744718390.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sure like that photo of Christmas Village you put up!

    ReplyDelete

How do you feel about this city? Love or Hate?