Monday, 8 October 2012

The Key To My Heart- Grandma Marie

Today I am going to blog about something personal and close to my heart, my Grandma.



On October 2nd, Marie (Lynn) Loeppky passed away at the age of 90.

I was one of the lucky grandchildren who got to live with her, laugh with her, play cards and watch T.V. with her almost every second Friday growing up.

My grandma, I'm sure like many other grandmas, was a very special lady.

She loved to dance, knit and loved watching the Blue Jays and the Maple Leafs play. She said she didn't like it when her eldest son, my Uncle Don, would tie his tie around his head and dance on tables at weddings, but she laugh and clap her hands anyway.

She loved to give us cans Coca-Colas and Revels when we came over visit. She always had Werthers Originals and chalky white mints on the coffee table. Her coo-coo clock from Grandpa would go off every half an hour. She would cheat at Rummy and Hearts by trying to "help" you with your cards.

When she lived in her house in St. Norbert, she hated when people would walk on the grass which was always nicely manicured. She met her husband, Neil, at a social in Winnipegosis, Manitoba on New Years Eve in 1946 where they kissed at mid-night and were married a few months later.

Her car, a maroon 1978 Malibu, always smelled like moth balls and would make a loud buzzing sound when you open the door without taking out the keys from the ignition.

Over the last couple years, Grandma had been in and out of The Victoria General Hospital due to a bad hip, a broken wrist and multiple illnesses. The staff at The Victoria General Hospital were always gracious and caring to her, and for that we are very, very thankful. Thanks especially to Deborah, the nurse, who made very sure she was comfortable, and didn't mind us being in her way in her last few hours. And to Dr. Bruce McLeod, who I'm told, took very good care of her.

During her last few days, despite sickness, Grandma remembered who we are and always wanted to make sure we were comfortable even though she was the one in the hospital. She would still offer us Cokes and ice cream, raise her eyebrows and say "Oooooh well" like she always did.

Tomorrow, Tuesday October 9th, is her funeral at Trinity United Church (933 Summerside in Fort Richmond) where she was a founding member.



"Miss me but let me go When I come to the end of the road and the sun has set for me, I want no rites in a gloom filled room. Why cry for a soul set free. Miss me a little, but not too long, and remember the love we once shared. Miss me but let me go. For this is a journey we all must take and each must go alone a step on the road to home. So when you are lonely and sick at heart, go to the friends we knew and bury your sorrow in doing good deeds and never be afraid to hold your head high till we meet again. Love Mom" 

We love you and miss you Grandma. 

1 comment:

  1. Mrs. Loeppky was a grand lady. She was the ultimate matriarch in a positive way. She loved to have her children and grandchildren around her. I am her ex daughter in law. On one of her hospitilizations, I brought my girls (her granddaughters) to visit her. She went out of her way to introduce me to the lady in the next bed. "this is my daughter in law, the mom of these girls. She is a physiotherapist and has her own clinic." in her voice was a certain pride. Pride of how her young granddaughters were maturing into young ladies...and pride, I would like to believe, in my role in that and in my own accomplishments.
    I was touched.
    She demonstrated forgiveness and grace. This is a lesson we can all learn.

    ReplyDelete

How do you feel about this city? Love or Hate?